Are you out and about with your eBike and needing to lock it up? Follow these tips for how to best keep your eBike safe and secure when you aren’t using it!
- DO use multiple quality locks to secure your bike - we recommend using a good quality U lock, folding lock or chain AND a good cable lock.
- DON’T use a single thin cable lock as the only means of securing your bike.
- DO get a U Lock with a large, thick loop and bulky locking mechanism.
THE LOCATION WHERE YOU LOCK YOUR BIKE
- DO lock your bike to a secure, immovable object such as a bike parking bar securely attached to concrete, a solid handrail, a street sign or post with something on top of it that is cemented into the ground.
- DON’T lock your bike to an insecure object such as small trees, chain link fences, wooden posts and things your lock could be lifted off from.
- DO lock your bike in a busy area with lots of pedestrian traffic - a thief will be less likely to attempt to take a bike with lots of people around.
- DON’T leave your bike locked in a public place overnight - if you do take in your battery, lock the bike up in a well lit area and make sure the bike is locked up securely.
- DO take your bike inside at night if possible.
HOW TO LOCK YOUR BIKE
- DO use a U-Lock, folding lock, or chain to lock up your rear wheel and bike frame triangle to whatever you are locking your bike to.
- DO securely lock your front wheel to your bike frame or another object, especially if it has a quick release.
- DO secure your seat with a lock if possible - seats are easily removed with no tools.
- DO try and fill as much of the inside of the U-Lock as possible if you are using one.
- DO keep your lock off the ground and keyhole pointed downwards to keep people from trying to smash it.
- DO lock up the bike according to value - start with the frame, then rear wheel and lastly front wheel.
- DO give your bike a tug after it’s locked up to ensure it’s security.
- DO make your bike the hardest bike to be stolen when locking it up in a group of bikes.
- DO lock up your bike if parking it indoors in a communal bike lockup area - if you and others can get in then you don’t know who else could.
- DO remove your battery if leaving your eBike locked up outside in public for an extended amount of time.
- DON’T lock up your bike in the same public spot day after day - this could give a thief time to plan a way to defeat your security systems.
- DO try to take your bike inside with you if possible.
- DON’T leave your bike out of sight, unlocked and unattended in public places.
- DO park your bike in a well lit area if leaving it somewhere overnight.
- DO remove any easily removed accessories from your bike if leaving it locked up for an extended period of time.